ZEISS presents half-year financial figures

15-May-2013 - Germany

During the first six months of fiscal year 2012/13 the business trend in the ZEISS Group was marked by the difficult conditions experienced in some markets. Nevertheless, the Group concluded the first half of the year (ended 31 March) with revenue totaling EUR 1.978 billion (first six months of 2011/12: EUR 2.040 billion). Earnings (EBIT) reached a level of EUR 109 million (first six months of 2011/12: EUR 236 million). "As expected, the first half of fiscal year 2012/13 was more difficult than the equivalent period last year," said Dr. Michael Kaschke, President and CEO of Carl Zeiss AG. "Revenue and earnings are characterized by the partly very different and challenging developments in our markets and by the recessionary trends in the global economy. However, our half-year figures are solid and at the level that we planned."

Downturn in Semiconductor Manufacturing Technology business – growth in direct business, primarily in rapidly developing economies

In this difficult scenario the Industrial Metrology and Medical Technology business groups generated further growth in revenue. The Vision Care and Microscopy business groups showed a largely stable development. The revenue reported by the Semiconductor Manufacturing Technology business group remained considerably below last year's figure, as demand for this technology in the very volatile semiconductor sector continued to be very slow in the first six months of the fiscal year.

ZEISS generated around 84 percent of revenue through direct business, and the remaining 16 percent with cooperation partners. The company transacted over 85 percent of its direct business on the international markets.

After currency adjustments, the Group grew its revenue in the Asia/Pacific region (APAC) by four percent to a figure totaling EUR 395 million (first six months of 2011/12: EUR 385 million). In the Americas ZEISS reported growth of two percent. In this region revenue reached the EUR 552 million mark (first six months of fiscal year 2011/12: EUR 534 million). In Europe, the Middle East and Africa (EMEA) ZEISS generated revenue totaling EUR 460 million, a plus of one percent (first six months of fiscal year 2011/12: EUR 455 million). Business in Germany amounted to EUR 244 million (first six months of fiscal year 2011/12: EUR 242 million).

Direct business in the rapidly developing economies such as China, India or Latin America showed a particularly positive development and increased by 16 percent over the previous year. Overall, ZEISS is now generating just under 22 percent of revenue through direct business on these markets (first six months of 2011/12: 19 percent).

The development of the business generated with cooperation partners, on the other hand, is being impacted by the downturn evident in the Semiconductor Manufacturing Technology business group, where revenue dropped 23 percent to EUR 327 million (first six months of 2011/12: EUR 423 million).

Other news from the department business & finance

Most read news

More news from our other portals

Under the magnifying glass: The world of microscopy