Abbott announced that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has issued Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) for the company's molecular test for novel coronavirus (COVID-19). Abbott is immediately shipping 150,000 Abbott RealTime SARS-CoV-2 EUA tests to existing customers in the U.S. The tests ... more
Abbott acquisition of St. Jude Medical set to close
Abbott announced it intends to close the acquisition of St. Jude Medical, Inc. The announcement follows receipt of all regulatory clearances necessary for closing.
The transaction establishes Abbott as a leader in the medical device arena and provides expanded opportunities for future growth. The addition of St. Jude Medical is an important part of the company's ongoing effort to develop a strong, diverse portfolio of devices, diagnostics, nutritionals and branded generic pharmaceuticals.
"We continue to deliberately shape our business for long-term success by securing leadership positions in attractive markets and focusing on customer needs," said Miles D. White, chairman and chief executive officer, Abbott. "This philosophy has served as the foundation for significant and sustainable value creation for our shareholders. The addition of St. Jude Medical creates one of the broadest medical device portfolios in the world and provides a steady stream of new technologies and therapies for many years to come."
St. Jude Medical's strong positions in fast-growing areas such as atrial fibrillation, heart failure, structural heart and chronic pain complement Abbott's leading positions in coronary interventions and mitral valve disease. Together, the company will compete in nearly every area of the $30 billion cardiovascular market and hold the No. 1 or 2 positions across large and high-growth cardiovascular device markets. This leading combined portfolio will have the depth, breadth, scale and innovation to help patients restore their health, improve outcomes and deliver greater value to customers and payors. Furthermore, the acquisition balances and strengthens the Abbott portfolio, which includes leading positions across all of its four core businesses.
Abbott announced it has received CE Marking (Conformité Européenne) in the European Union to market a new, highly sensitive diagnostic test for detection of hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg). The test is performed on Abbott's ARCHITECT® system. HBsAg assays may be used to help identify ac ... more
Abbott announced the availability of a new molecular test in the European Union and New Zealand designed to identify the presence of gene rearrangements associated with a specific form of non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC). These rearrangements in a gene known as ALK (anaplastic lymphoma k ... more
There is no doubt that technology has impacted the way labs operate, and will continue to do so. In today’s competitive landscape, organizations need to take a holistic view of their lab processes and identify areas for improvement. The future of laboratory software will evolve into more fu ... more
- 1New NMR method enables monitoring of chemical reactions in metal containers
- 2Deep learning enables early detection and classification of live bacteria using holography
- 3analytica 2020: Great exhibitor resonance for the autumnal fair
- 4Merck acquires a French company
- 5Formation of quadruple helix DNA tracked in live human cells for the first time
- 6Thermo Fisher Scientific and QIAGEN N.V. Agree on Amended Terms to Acquisition Agreement
- 7Hurdle of microscopy overcome
- 8Microplastics transport metallic pollutants
- 9How smart, ultrathin nanosheets go fishing for proteins
- 10Biofilms - an invisible threat to food safety
- Thermo Fisher Scientific and QIAGEN N.V. Agree on Amended Terms to Acquisition Agreement
- Waters Corporation Names Udit Batra President and Chief Executive Officer
- How to map brain connections using DNA barcodes
- Listeria protein provides a CRISPR 'kill switch'
- Developing new techniques to improve atomic force microscopy