Today, the question of speed and cost efficiency seems more relevant than ever in light of our need to conserve resources. The DUMATHERM® nitrogen analysis device, produced by C. Gerhardt GmbH & Co. KG, in Königswinter, Germany and operated according to the Dumas method, shows that these challenges need no longer be irreconcilable. Combustion catalysts without chrome constituents, non-toxic absorbents for water and carbon dioxide, as well as chemical-free solutions for the separation of carbon dioxide from the analytical gas stream, demonstrate this fact conclusively. If we are then able to use micro sample weights in place of gram weights on the basis of intelligent analytical technology, we can consequently view the combustion analysis in a new light, as it becomes a real alternative to both secondary methods and the Kjeldahl reference method. This article aims to establish whether gram sample weights are still viable today, or whether intelligent detection technology paired with efficient equipment design render gram weights redundant. Flour and soybean are taken as sample matrices.
Are Macro Sample Weights at Macro Costs Still Viable Today?
Strategies for the Efficient Determination of Protein Content of Homogeneous and Inhomogeneous Samples
- Dumas principle
- nitrogen determination
- protein analysis
- protein characterization
- nitrogen analysis
- protein content measurement
- Kjeldahl analysis
Starch products only contain very low concentrations of proteins. For analysis, the Dumas combustion method has established itself as second reference method more
Cost efficiency and the conservation of resources are very often a contradiction. The protein/nitrogen analysis system DUMATHERM brings both demands together more
Excellent alternative for sample cleanup of volatiles from complex matrices. Major advantages are the low costs for consumables per analysis more
Extraction methods are often time-consuming and handling solvents is potentially dangerous. C. Gerhardt developed SOXTHERM to solve this problem more
Use VAPODEST 500 and 500 C to increase productivity, analytical accuracy and work safety in your lab more
With VAPODEST you distill your samples for the determination of nitrogen, cyanide, SO2, ammonia, phenol, sorbic acid or alcohol safely and quickly more
Extraction methods are used in many ways for classic fat determination in foodstuffs and animal feed. The physical separation method is also useful in environmental and residue analytics and for quality inspection of production materials. The substance to be determined is dissolved out of t ... more
Nitrogen determination according to Kjeldahl is recognized the world over as a reference method, so optimal sample preparation is a must. VAPODEST lets you distill safely and quickly not only samples for the determination of nitrogen according to Kjeldahl, but also of cyanide, SO2, ammonia, ... more
- 1Microwave freeze drying of fruits & vegetables
- 2Risks and Hazards Caused by ELECTROSTATICS in the LAB?!
- 3Comparing ICP-OES Analyzers' Plasma Views: Axial, Radial, Dual, MultiView, and New Dual Side-On Interface
- 4Theory and practice of conductivity measurement
- 5Benefits of Deep Learning and AI in Microscopy: Label-Free Nucleus Detection in Micro Well Plates
- 6Dissolved Oxygen measurement in theory and in practice
- 7Which ICP-OES Optical Technology Offers Superior Performance: Echelle or ORCA?
- 8Field-Flow Fractionation - The Universal Separation Principle for Particle and Macromolecule Characterization
- 9ETC Powder Dispensing Study
- 10Titration Handbook – Theory and Practice of Titration