Particle size distribution and concentration of nano- and microparticles in suspensions and emulsions; from below 100 nm to a few micrometers. more
Characterization of Highly Concentrated Nano- and Microdispersions
LUM GmbH is market leader in innovative analysers for direct and accelerated stability analysis and particle characterization of dispersions. In addition, solutions in the field of material testing are now provided with the new LUMiFrac®.
The innovative Separation Analyser LUMiReader® X-Ray extends the proprietary STEP-Technology® to X-radiation, to characterize the separation behaviour of highly concentrated, opaque suspensions and emulsions for a broad range of particle sizes under original conditions (no dilution required).
LUMiReader X-Ray features the advantages:
- Direct and non-contact measurement of samples of highest concentration
- Determination of concentration gradients in nano- and microdispersions and sediments
- Determination of space-resolved mass concentration of dispersed phases
- Determination of concentration changes due to separation phenomena
- Determination of packing density gradient in sediments.
All dispersing agents are possible, being solvent or oil or water. Different measuring cells are available.
LUMiReader X-Ray enables the use of X-radiation for the patented STEP-Technology® (Space and Time resolved measurement of Extinction Profiles). A microfocus X-ray source in combination with a X-ray optics emits parallel, mono-energetic X-rays (I0) onto the entire sample in the measuring cell. The transmitted radiation I is detected by thousands of sensors in a linear arrangement from sample bottom up to the filling height. A microscale resolution is realized. Space and time-resolved transmission profiles are simultaneously detected for for the entire sample height (here 20 mm). The transmission is converted into X-ray attenuation (ln I/I0). The volume concentration can be calculated even for polydisperse samples without knowing the refractive index.
Separation processes, particle migration and particle size changes result in transmission changes. Those are simultaneously characterized space- and time-resolved, up to the display of concentration gradients within a separated phase of high concentration, like sediment or cream layer.
The universal software SEPView® features a Windows-7-based user interface, plug & play, pack & go. The full SOP-concept (creation, capture, data analysis) enables an easy handling. The comprehensive database security and a full audit log are further SEPView features. It complies with CFR21 Part 11.
LUMiReader X-Ray Applications Include e.g. The Qualitative and Quantitative Characterization of
- Flotation, sedimentation, flocculation and consolidation
- Determination of packing densities and concentration gradients in sediments, e.g. for mineral suspensions
- Pigment segregation in paints and cosmetic products, e.g. make-up
- Separation and segregation of oil and minerals in petroleum sand
- Air bubble distribution in solid foams
- Catalyst separation in crude aniline
- Creaming kinetics of silicon oil / water emulsions and packing density of the cream layer
- Flocculation and redispersibility of magnetic dispersions
- Separation of fillers in adhesives
- Segregation in lubricants
- Segregation in and sediment height of solid electrolytes, titanium dioxide/graphite mixtures.
LUMiReader X-Ray is the ideal extension to the established LUM instruments for dispersions. The identical measuring cells can be measured first in LUMiSizer®, LUMiFuge® or LUMiReader PSA and then be analysed in LUMiReader X-Ray. To the advantages of direct and accelerated stability analysis and particle characterization by near-infrared or visible light, the qualitative and quantitative determination of concentration profiles in separated and highly concentrated phases is easily added. LUMiReader X-Ray is sold with type approval according to German X-ray ordinance (RöV).
Nanoparticle & droplet: size distribution, density, Hansen parameters, magnetization, adhesion ✓ Direct & accelerated stability information for R&D, QC, upscaling of suspensions & emulsions more
The multi-wavelength STEP technology now handles applications at 4-80 C with temperature stability of +/- 0.2K. more
The multi-wavelength LUMiSizer complements the near-infrared (NIR) LUMiSizer. An additional, blue light source enables particle characterization in the lower nanometer range. Shorter wavelengths increase the sensitivity for translucent & low-concentrated dispersions. The analytical photocen ... more
The new generation of the proven stability analyzer LUMiFuge® considerably simplifies quality control in industry by introducing the instability index in the SEPView® 6 software. The LUMiFuge, which uses the measuring principle of analytical centrifugation, is one of the standard devices fo ... more
LUM GmbH is a leading international provider of innovative measurement technology for dispersion analysis and materials testing. Since the founding of the company by Prof. Dr. Dr. D. Lerche in 1994, LUM is also obliged to science. The company promotes science and technology and contributes ... more
From 22-23 May 2019 LUM GmbH hosts the 9th International Conference Dispersion Analysis & Materials Testing in Berlin, Germany. Since 2014 the Young Scientist Award (YSA) recognizes outstanding scientific work by young researchers in the areas of particle and dispersion characterization and ... more
The 8th International Conference Dispersion Analysis & Materials Testing is hosted by LUM GmbH in Berlin, Germany, from 29-30 January 2018. Here, during this now traditional interdisciplinary event, particle scientists meet product formulators; application engineers meet scholars from extre ... more
- 1CDR FoodLab ® - Analyses systems for quality control on food and beverage
- 2Handheld Cell Counter & Spectrometer
- 3Making Chemical Analysis Easy by Improving Laboratory Operations and Productivity
- 4Do you still count, or are you already measuring?
- 510 air pollutants and greenhouse gases – one high-precision analyzer
- 6Measuring size & concentration of nanoparticles
- 7An entire chromatographic system in a small footprint
- 8The Quick and Precise Density Meter for Busy Laboratories and Factories
- 9ICP-MS Analysis of Elements
- 10Fast and reliable detection of SARS-CoV-2 in swabs of environmental surfaces