Illumina, Inc. and Pacific Biosciences announced they have signed an agreement for Illumina to acquire Pacific Biosciences at a price of $8.00 per Pacific Biosciences share in an all-cash transaction. This price represents a premium of 71% to Pacific Biosciences’ 30 trading day volume weigh ... more
Pacific Biosciences and Imec Announce Collaboration to Develop Advanced Microchips for Single Molecule Sequencing Applications
Pacific Biosciences of California, Inc. and Belgium-based nanoelectronics research center imec announced a multi-year research collaboration focused on the development of advanced microchips for highly multiplexed single molecule genetic analysis. This research and development project will build on Pacific Biosciences’ proprietary zero-mode waveguide (ZMW) technology and imec’s expertise in nanophotonics, CMOS sensors, technology integration and fabrication.
“From our inception we have been committed to exploiting the potential of the unique capabilities of our ZMW-based Single Molecule, Real-Time (SMRT®) analysis technology to drive innovation in the life sciences,” said Michael Hunkapiller, President and Chief Executive Officer of Pacific Biosciences. “The goal of this collaboration is to harness the power of microchips to scale the capacity and throughput of our SMRT technology. We look forward to working with imec on this advanced development program as we continue to expand the application space for our platform.”
imec describes a new concept for direct identification of single DNA bases. The technique has the potential to detect, with an unprecedented spatial resolution and without any labeling, the genetic code, as well as epigenetic variations in DNA. The combination of nanopore fluidics and surfa ... more
Developing tiny probes for research and brain-related medical applications – that is the goal of the project NeuroSeeker, launched in February 2013 with a kick-off event in Leuven. The interdisciplinary project pools the expertise of ten partner institutions from Europe and Canada. The Univ ... more
Pepric, a spin-off of imec, successfully concluded a EURO 1.4 million capital round. Pepric develops and commercializes equipment for quantitative molecular detection and imaging to monitor biological processes evolving slowly over time.In other words, Pepric will develop equipment similar ... more
- 1Mini-spectrometer: Smaller than a coin
- 2How molecular footballs burst in an X-ray laser beam
- 3Eye scan makes diseases visible at an early stage
- 4Bruker Announces Acquisition of Magnettech's EPR Business
- 5Wood on our Skin
- 6Inspired by nature: Scientists have developed a nanopore-microchip
- 7New method for the measurement of nano-structured light fields
- 8Happy hour for time-resolved crystallography
- 9How CRISPR can help fight against neurodegenerative diseases
- 10First high-speed hard X-ray microscopic movies at a free-electron laser
- Merck and Rigaku Form Partnership to Develop Novel Molecular Structure Analy ...
- DKSH and Bruker AXS strengthen partnership in China
- Are Drones Coming to Life Science Labs?
- Andrew Alliance and Sartorius collaborate to provide software-connected pipettes
- SOPAT GmbH and Malvern Panalytical announce a distribution agreement for US ...