Merck enhanced its advanced bioprocess portfolio through the acquisition of RESOLUTION Spectra Systems, a Meylan, France-based leader in bioprocess analytical monitoring. The company offers Raman spectroscopy analysis through its GMP-ready instrumentation and software. Financial details of ... more
Merck Collaborates with Mammoth Biosciences to Scale New SARS-CoV-2 Test
Once approved, new test will help laboratories increase testing capacity and decrease turnaround time for results
Merck announced a collaboration with Mammoth Biosciences Inc., of South San Francisco, California, USA, for the development, scale-up and commercial production of Mammoth’s CRISPR-based SARS CoV-2 diagnostic test. Mammoth’s high-throughput systems will be compatible with both nasal swab and saliva samples and are targeting approximately 1,500 tests per 8-hour shift with minimal user interaction. Mammoth Biosciences plans to submit the assay for FDA Emergency Use Authorization later this year.
“This collaboration will allow us to help Mammoth with the development and production of their new SARS-CoV-2 test, which, once approved by the FDA, will increase testing capacity here in the U.S. at the scale needed to combat this pandemic,” said Jean-Charles Wirth, head of Applied Solutions, Life Science, at Merck. “Merck is helping to advance the future of testing at scale. This is an important step in detecting Covid-19 quickly.”
The Life Science business of Merck will serve as the contract manufacturer of the DETECTR BOOST™ SARS-CoV-2 Reagent Kit, which will use standard, automated liquid handling equipment to allow rapid processing of patient samples. With this new test, Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments labs in the U.S. will be able to significantly improve capacity to regularly perform testing. According to Mammoth, the new test is expected to use a CRISPR-based workflow that reduces the time required for testing while maintaining the gold standard accuracy of Polymerase Chain Reaction expected by lab operators.
“Leveraging the proven manufacturing and product leadership of the Life Science business of Merck is critical to Mammoth delivering a CRISPR-based diagnostic solution to labs,” said Janice Chen, Ph.D., co-founder and chief technology officer of Mammoth Biosciences. “We have the opportunity to make a tremendous positive impact on the pandemic by enabling the further scale-up of our nation’s testing capacity.”
Mammoth recently secured funding from the National Institute of Health’s RADx program to scale its CRISPR-based testing workflow.
The Applied Solutions business unit, part of the Life Science business of Merck, offers a broad range of products and services for clinical and diagnostic testing laboratories as well as the food and beverage industry. It provides technologies that streamline processes, lower costs and deliver consistent, reliable results. The production will take place at the business’ Life Science Center in St. Louis, Missouri, USA.
- SARS-CoV-2 testing
- diagnostic tests
- Coronavirus testing
Merck presented Professor David Alsteens (33), Catholic University of Louvain (UCLovain), Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium with the 2019 Heinrich Emanuel Merck Award for Analytical Science. The award ceremony took place during the analytical conference Euroanalysis at Istanbul University in Turkey ... more
Merck has acquired BSSN Software, a Darmstadt, Germany-based laboratory informatics company that makes data more readily accessible for ease of integration, collaboration, analysis and long-term archiving. Financial details were not disclosed. “BSSN Software and the capabilities that it bri ... more
LANEXO™ System - innovative reagent and chemical tracking system specially designed to work more effectively and safely in analytical and research laboratories more
Western blotting is invaluable for protein detection. However, performing the multi-step, multi-reagent technique can lead to wild inconsistencies, h more
- 1COVID-19 : Measuring viral RNA to predict which patients will die
- 2Why are neuron axons long and spindly?
- 3Rapid PCR tests at the touch of a button
- 4Mini-laboratory delivers results in about 40 minutes at the point of care
- 5Binary mesocrystals from the nanobuilding kit
- 6SCHOTT Is Now a Stock Corporation
- 7Blood biomarker identified that predicts type 2 diabetes many years before diagnosis
- 8Method to reveal undesired biological effects of chemicals
- 9Wastewater provides new insight into Covid-19 dynamics
- 10Pioneering new technique to barcode cells
- LUM enters into a strategic partnership for bitumen and petroleum analysis i ...
- Waters and Sartorius collaborate
- OLS OMNI Life Science and Namocell sign distribution agreement
- Many researchers are familiar with the problem: Before there are any new fin ...
- oncgnostics cooperates with the Medical University of Graz
- Endress+Hauser bundles analysis expertise
- Engineers develop new software tool to aid material modeling research
- Seasonal temperature impacts patient lab results
- Artificial intelligence, hardware innovations boost confocal microscope’s performance
- New microscopy method offers 3D tracking of 100 single molecules at once