Merck enhanced its advanced bioprocess portfolio through the acquisition of RESOLUTION Spectra Systems, a Meylan, France-based leader in bioprocess analytical monitoring. The company offers Raman spectroscopy analysis through its GMP-ready instrumentation and software. Financial details of ... more
Merck Collaborates with Mammoth Biosciences to Scale New SARS-CoV-2 Test
Once approved, new test will help laboratories increase testing capacity and decrease turnaround time for results
Merck announced a collaboration with Mammoth Biosciences Inc., of South San Francisco, California, USA, for the development, scale-up and commercial production of Mammoth’s CRISPR-based SARS CoV-2 diagnostic test. Mammoth’s high-throughput systems will be compatible with both nasal swab and saliva samples and are targeting approximately 1,500 tests per 8-hour shift with minimal user interaction. Mammoth Biosciences plans to submit the assay for FDA Emergency Use Authorization later this year.
“This collaboration will allow us to help Mammoth with the development and production of their new SARS-CoV-2 test, which, once approved by the FDA, will increase testing capacity here in the U.S. at the scale needed to combat this pandemic,” said Jean-Charles Wirth, head of Applied Solutions, Life Science, at Merck. “Merck is helping to advance the future of testing at scale. This is an important step in detecting Covid-19 quickly.”
The Life Science business of Merck will serve as the contract manufacturer of the DETECTR BOOST™ SARS-CoV-2 Reagent Kit, which will use standard, automated liquid handling equipment to allow rapid processing of patient samples. With this new test, Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments labs in the U.S. will be able to significantly improve capacity to regularly perform testing. According to Mammoth, the new test is expected to use a CRISPR-based workflow that reduces the time required for testing while maintaining the gold standard accuracy of Polymerase Chain Reaction expected by lab operators.
“Leveraging the proven manufacturing and product leadership of the Life Science business of Merck is critical to Mammoth delivering a CRISPR-based diagnostic solution to labs,” said Janice Chen, Ph.D., co-founder and chief technology officer of Mammoth Biosciences. “We have the opportunity to make a tremendous positive impact on the pandemic by enabling the further scale-up of our nation’s testing capacity.”
Mammoth recently secured funding from the National Institute of Health’s RADx program to scale its CRISPR-based testing workflow.
The Applied Solutions business unit, part of the Life Science business of Merck, offers a broad range of products and services for clinical and diagnostic testing laboratories as well as the food and beverage industry. It provides technologies that streamline processes, lower costs and deliver consistent, reliable results. The production will take place at the business’ Life Science Center in St. Louis, Missouri, USA.
- SARS-CoV-2 testing
- diagnostic tests
- Coronavirus testing
Merck presented Professor David Alsteens (33), Catholic University of Louvain (UCLovain), Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium with the 2019 Heinrich Emanuel Merck Award for Analytical Science. The award ceremony took place during the analytical conference Euroanalysis at Istanbul University in Turkey ... more
Merck has acquired BSSN Software, a Darmstadt, Germany-based laboratory informatics company that makes data more readily accessible for ease of integration, collaboration, analysis and long-term archiving. Financial details were not disclosed. “BSSN Software and the capabilities that it bri ... more
- 1Detect neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's by a simple eye scan?
- 2Fluorescence microscopy at highest spatial and temporal resolution
- 3The Mechanics of the Immune System
- 4Resolve Biosciences Launches New Era in Single-Cell Spatial Analysis
- 5Quick look under the skin
- 6New ion trap to create the world's most accurate mass spectrometer
- 7How does your computer smell?
- 8Clocking electron movements inside an atom
- 9Sartorius closes 2020 with strong growth
- 10A clear path to better insights into biomolecules
- NanoTemper Technologies teams up with PharmAI to help researchers spot game- ...
- Lab supplies out of the 3D printer
- Waters Collaborates with Dr. Sunghwan Kim of Kyungpook National University t ...
- Merck Collaborates with Mammoth Biosciences to Scale New SARS-CoV-2 Test
- InnoME and Etaluma Announce Imaging Strategic Partnership
- Tiny brains grown in 3D-printed bioreactor
- LabVantage Solutions Names Digital Transformation Veteran Mikael Hagstroem as Chief Executive Officer
- PerkinElmer Completes Acquisition of Oxford Immunotec
- Time needed to sequence key molecules could be reduced from years to minutes
- On the line: Watching nanoparticles get in shape