A study published in Nature by an international team that included Cornell researchers describes the use of DNA to predict the geographic origins of individuals from a sample of Europeans, often within a few hundred kilometers of where they were born. "What we found is that within Europe, ... more
Structure of Human Cytochrome P450 2D6 solved by GlaxoSmithKline with the use of Fludigm Technology
The TOPAZ® system for protein crystallization was instrumental in helping GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) solve the structure of cytochrome P450 2D6, an enzyme important in the metabolism of a wide variety of drugs. TOPAZ crystallization chips were used to identify positive conditions for crystallization and subsequently to grow P450 2D6 crystals sufficiently large and well ordered for structural analysis. The research was conducted by the GSK Discovery Research Group in Harlow, UK, and the findings are presented in the Journal of Biological Chemistry.
For this protein target, conventional microplate crystallization trials failed to yield crystals suitable for an X-ray crystal structure determination, according to Paul Rowland, Investigator, Structural Sciences at GSK. Consequently, the team turned to TOPAZ preparative chips to further explore crystallisation conditions and to scale up those which appeared promising. In the paper Rowland et al. describe the procedure whereby crystals were grown and harvested from the TOPAZ chips and then used to solve the protein structure.
The P450 2D6 structure is a milestone in ongoing work to determine the structures of various bound substrates and inhibitors related to ligand recognition and specificity in human cytochrome systems. A relatively large number of genetic polymorphisms have been described for 2D6, some of which are markers for rapid, or conversely, very poor metabolism. A deeper understanding of these polymorphisms as facilitated by 3-dimensional structural considerations may lead to safer, more efficacious drugs. The publication of the P450 2D6 structure attests to the value of a long-standing collaboration between GSK and Fluidigm to integrate TOPAZ technology into the drug discovery process.
- protein structure
- protein crystallization
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. announced it has entered into an agreement to acquire Qualigens Fine Chemicals, a division of GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd. (GSK India) based in Mumbai. Qualigens is India's largest laboratory chemical manufacturer and supplier, serving customers in a va ... more
Europe's proposed new chemicals legislation, REACH, could disrupt the supply of important medicines. David Vosvenieks, REACH issue manager at AstraZeneca (AZ), told Chemistry & Industry that two companies supplying intermediates required for two AZ drugs - one of them an anticancer therapy ... more
The Broad Institute and Fluidigm Corporation have announced the launch of a new research center dedicated to accelerating the development of research methods and discoveries in mammalian single-cell genomics. The Single-Cell Genomics Center is also expected to act as a hub for collaboration ... more
Fluidigm Corporation has begun direct service to customers in China. Through the establishment of a wholly-owned Fluidigm subsidiary in China in late January 2012, officially known as Fluidigm (Shanghai) Instrument Technology Co., Ltd., Fluidigm will improve services to its Chinese customer ... more
Fluidigm Corporation announced it has entered into a multi-year agreement with Bayer CropScience to supply integrated fluidic circuits (IFCs) and instrumentation to Bayer CropScience's global operations. Bayer CropScience will be using Fluidigm technology to conduct marker-assisted breeding ... more
- 1Groundbreaking experimental method will speed up protein analysis substantially
- 2Tiny nanoparticles offer significant potential in detecting and treating disease
- 3State-of-the-art text mining technologies for chemistry
- 4Eurofins acquires clinical diagnostics company in Italy
- 5Shimadzu acquires specialist for isotope labeled standards
- 6More durable, versatile wearable for diabetes monitoring
- 7Eurofins expands its footprint in the Balkan region
- 8New sensors could enable more affordable detection of pollution and diseases
- 9Bacterial organizational complexities revealed
- 10Protein mingling under blue light
- MRC Technology and Biocartis initiate development of liquid biopsy test for ...
- Agilent Technologies Receives Multiple Awards at Scientific Conference in China
- Innovationsstarter Fonds Hamburg and High-Tech Gründerfonds are investing to ...
- Carl Zeiss Meditec AG wins patent infringement action on trifocal intraocula ...
- Zika virus test receives FDA emergency use authorization