Some breweries have taken to resurrecting the flavors of ages past. Adventurous beer makers are extrapolating recipes from clues that archeologists have uncovered from old and even ancient brews found at historical sites. Now scientists have analyzed some of the oldest preserved beer sample ... more
VTT and GE Healthcare developing novel biomarkers to predict Alzheimer’s disease
Scientists from VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland in collaboration with the University of Eastern Finland have recently discovered a serum biochemical signature which predicts progression to Alzheimer’s disease months or even years before the first symptoms of the disease occur. The goal of the new collaboration between VTT and GE Healthcare is to validate this biomarker in a large patient cohort as well as to discover novel biomarker candidates.
Early detection of prodromal AD is vital both for assessing the efficacy of potential AD therapeutic agents as well as new disease modifying therapies are most likely to be effective when initiated during the early stages of disease. The elucidation of early metabolic pathways associated with progression to Alzheimer’s disease may also help in identifying new therapeutic avenues.
In 2010 GE Healthcare entered into “biosignatures initiative” alliance with Janssen Pharmaceutica N.V. (Janssen) to develop diagnostic biosignatures for pre-symptomatic identification of AD. As part of this programme, VTT will apply serum metabolite profiling to validate their recently discovered biochemical signature, as well as to discover novel biomarker candidates predictive of progression to AD.
VTT’s research professor Matej Orešič said: “We are excited about the prospect of collaborating with GE Healthcare to accelerate its research programs and to further develop our biomarker towards a clinical assay applicable in healthcare setting. VTT has over the past years built unique metabolomics and systems biology platforms and acquired vast amount of knowledge on metabolic profiles and pathways in human health and disease, which allow us to identify disease-specific biochemical signatures and pathways. We believe that integration of metabolomics into the GE’s and Janssen’s biosignatures initiative will lead to better tools for early detection of AD and may also lead to better therapeutic options.”
VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland has developed an innovative magnetometer that can replace conventional technology in applications such as neuroimaging, mineral exploration and molecular diagnostics. Its manufacturing costs are between 70 and 80 per cent lower than those of traditio ... more
Researchers at VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland, the University of Turku and the University of Oslo have discovered a previously unknown molecular-level mechanism that may partly explain the increased growth of cancer cells. The study, published in the British Journal of Cancer, sho ... more
GE Healthcare, a unit of General Electric Company, announced that it has entered into a Strategic Alliance Agreement with FUJIFILM Corporation. Under the alliance, Fujifilm will develop, manufacture and supply advanced biomolecular imaging systems to GE Healthcare. The products will be sold ... more
Tecan and GE Healthcare are working together to bring increased quality and efficiency to process development. The collaboration between the two suppliers focuses on high throughput screening of protein purification conditions, using the combination of Tecan’s Freedom EVO® automated worksta ... more
- 1Schleicher & Schuell has been purchased by Whatman plc
- 2Asphaltene analysis takes a giant step
- 3Fluorescence spectroscopy using a smartphone
- 4Live broadcast from inside the nerve cell
- 5Foundation of LAUDA Scientific GmbH as an independent company for measuring instruments
- 6Anton Paar GmbH acquires Measuring Technology Company in Hanover
- 7MDxHealth's ConfirmMDx Genes Detect Clinically Significant Prostate Cancer
- 8Determining recipes for some of the world's oldest preserved beers
- 9Eurofins acquires BioDiagnostics, Inc.
- 10SCHOTT Is Now a Stock Corporation
- Philips enters into collaboration with Janssen to develop new handheld blood ...
- Sartorius extends portfolio with innovative sensors for flow rate measurement
- Merck Serono and Illumina Enter Strategic Collaboration for Diagnostics in O ...
- Joint Open Laboratory Established In China by Waters & the Chinese Pharmacop ...
- GENALICE and Knome form strategic partnership to empower rapid NGS data inte ...