Researchers at VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland, the University of Turku and the University of Oslo have discovered a previously unknown molecular-level mechanism that may partly explain the increased growth of cancer cells. The study, published in the British Journal of Cancer, sho ... more
VTT and GE Healthcare developing novel biomarkers to predict Alzheimer’s disease
28-06-2012: Scientists from VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland in collaboration with the University of Eastern Finland have recently discovered a serum biochemical signature which predicts progression to Alzheimer’s disease months or even years before the first symptoms of the disease occur. The goal of the new collaboration between VTT and GE Healthcare is to validate this biomarker in a large patient cohort as well as to discover novel biomarker candidates.
Early detection of prodromal AD is vital both for assessing the efficacy of potential AD therapeutic agents as well as new disease modifying therapies are most likely to be effective when initiated during the early stages of disease. The elucidation of early metabolic pathways associated with progression to Alzheimer’s disease may also help in identifying new therapeutic avenues.
In 2010 GE Healthcare entered into “biosignatures initiative” alliance with Janssen Pharmaceutica N.V. (Janssen) to develop diagnostic biosignatures for pre-symptomatic identification of AD. As part of this programme, VTT will apply serum metabolite profiling to validate their recently discovered biochemical signature, as well as to discover novel biomarker candidates predictive of progression to AD.
VTT’s research professor Matej Orešič said: “We are excited about the prospect of collaborating with GE Healthcare to accelerate its research programs and to further develop our biomarker towards a clinical assay applicable in healthcare setting. VTT has over the past years built unique metabolomics and systems biology platforms and acquired vast amount of knowledge on metabolic profiles and pathways in human health and disease, which allow us to identify disease-specific biochemical signatures and pathways. We believe that integration of metabolomics into the GE’s and Janssen’s biosignatures initiative will lead to better tools for early detection of AD and may also lead to better therapeutic options.”
VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland has developed smart optical measuring devices with companies for uses that include optimisation of vehicle engines, reduction and monitoring of environmental emissions, and quality control of pharmaceuticals. The FABRY research project aimed at utili ... more
European scientists have made ground-breaking discoveries for improving the efficiency of the production of pharmaceuticals through plant biotechnology. Biotechnological production offers a cost-effective and environmentally friendly alternative to the chemical synthesis of rare and complex ... more
GE Healthcare, a unit of General Electric Company, announced that it has entered into a Strategic Alliance Agreement with FUJIFILM Corporation. Under the alliance, Fujifilm will develop, manufacture and supply advanced biomolecular imaging systems to GE Healthcare. The products will be sold ... more
Tecan and GE Healthcare are working together to bring increased quality and efficiency to process development. The collaboration between the two suppliers focuses on high throughput screening of protein purification conditions, using the combination of Tecan’s Freedom EVO® automated worksta ... more
- 1Schleicher & Schuell has been purchased by Whatman plc
- 2Bibby Scientific Ltd acquires PCRmax Ltd
- 3Merck to Acquire Sigma-Aldrich to Enhance Position in Attractive Life Science Industry
- 4The shadow of a disease
- 5A Breakthrough in Electron Microscopy
- 6LGC rebrands reference standards
- 7VWR International, LLC Signs Agreement to Acquire Peqlab Biotechnologie GmbH
- 8Merck Millipore and VWR Extend Western European Distribution Agreement
- 9Gilson announces the acquisition of Armen
- 10LGC extends forensic and paternity DNA operations into Europe
- QIAGEN announces broad agreement with Astellas Pharma to develop companion d ...
- Yale University and Leica Microsystems Partner to Establish Microscopy Cente ...
- GENALICE and deCODE Genetics enter into a partnership for population wide ge ...
- Evotec receives first milestone in Roche biomarker collaboration
- Polyplus-transfection and the National Institute of Health sign a research l ...