VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland has developed smart optical measuring devices with companies for uses that include optimisation of vehicle engines, reduction and monitoring of environmental emissions, and quality control of pharmaceuticals. The FABRY research project aimed at utili ... more
VTT and GE Healthcare developing novel biomarkers to predict Alzheimer’s disease
28-06-2012: Scientists from VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland in collaboration with the University of Eastern Finland have recently discovered a serum biochemical signature which predicts progression to Alzheimer’s disease months or even years before the first symptoms of the disease occur. The goal of the new collaboration between VTT and GE Healthcare is to validate this biomarker in a large patient cohort as well as to discover novel biomarker candidates.
Early detection of prodromal AD is vital both for assessing the efficacy of potential AD therapeutic agents as well as new disease modifying therapies are most likely to be effective when initiated during the early stages of disease. The elucidation of early metabolic pathways associated with progression to Alzheimer’s disease may also help in identifying new therapeutic avenues.
In 2010 GE Healthcare entered into “biosignatures initiative” alliance with Janssen Pharmaceutica N.V. (Janssen) to develop diagnostic biosignatures for pre-symptomatic identification of AD. As part of this programme, VTT will apply serum metabolite profiling to validate their recently discovered biochemical signature, as well as to discover novel biomarker candidates predictive of progression to AD.
VTT’s research professor Matej Orešič said: “We are excited about the prospect of collaborating with GE Healthcare to accelerate its research programs and to further develop our biomarker towards a clinical assay applicable in healthcare setting. VTT has over the past years built unique metabolomics and systems biology platforms and acquired vast amount of knowledge on metabolic profiles and pathways in human health and disease, which allow us to identify disease-specific biochemical signatures and pathways. We believe that integration of metabolomics into the GE’s and Janssen’s biosignatures initiative will lead to better tools for early detection of AD and may also lead to better therapeutic options.”
European scientists have made ground-breaking discoveries for improving the efficiency of the production of pharmaceuticals through plant biotechnology. Biotechnological production offers a cost-effective and environmentally friendly alternative to the chemical synthesis of rare and complex ... more
VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland has developed a lightweight, handheld, ultra-precision hyperspectral camera for the detection of skin cancers and their precursors. From the surface of the skin, the camera recognises early stages of cancer that are invisible to the naked eye. Collab ... more
The European Association for Research on Services, RESER, will hold its 24th International Conference in Helsinki, Finland. RESER conference is a multidisciplinary forum, where researchers in economics, geography, sociology, management, marketing and many other disciplines meet to share the ... more
GE Healthcare, a unit of General Electric Company, announced that it has entered into a Strategic Alliance Agreement with FUJIFILM Corporation. Under the alliance, Fujifilm will develop, manufacture and supply advanced biomolecular imaging systems to GE Healthcare. The products will be sold ... more
Tecan and GE Healthcare are working together to bring increased quality and efficiency to process development. The collaboration between the two suppliers focuses on high throughput screening of protein purification conditions, using the combination of Tecan’s Freedom EVO® automated worksta ... more
- 1Nano-sized chip "sniffs out" explosives far better than trained dogs
- 2Malvern Instruments completes acquisitions
- 3Schleicher & Schuell has been purchased by Whatman plc
- 4Analytik Jena AG Signs Agreement to Acquire Bruker's ICP-MS Business
- 5Analytik Jena Closed Third Quarter Below Expectations
- 6Synthesis of structurally pure carbon nanotubes using molecular seeds
- 7Mettler Toledo installs Tunable Diode Lasers (TDLs) where no TDLs have gone before
- 8SGS appoints new Chief Financial Officer
- 9DKSH exclusively distributes Postnova Analytics’ Field-Flow Fractionation systems
- 10Bochem Increasingly Using New Media
- GENALICE and deCODE Genetics enter into a partnership for population wide ge ...
- Evotec receives first milestone in Roche biomarker collaboration
- Polyplus-transfection and the National Institute of Health sign a research l ...
- MolecularHealth Partners with GATC Biotech for Genetic Sequencing Technology ...
- Lonza signs exclusive agreement with Index Ventures