Abbott announced it intends to close the acquisition of St. Jude Medical, Inc. The announcement follows receipt of all regulatory clearances necessary for closing. The transaction establishes Abbott as a leader in the medical device arena and provides expanded opportunities for future growt ... more
Abbott Completes Acquisition of Advanced Medical Optics
Abbott announced that it has completed its acquisition of Advanced Medical Optics. AMO is now a wholly owned subsidiary of Abbott and has been renamed Abbott Medical Optics Inc.
The acquisition of AMO enhances and strengthens Abbott's diverse mix of medical device businesses and gives it a leadership position in the large and growing eye care market. Abbott Medical Optics holds the number one position in LASIK surgical devices, the number two position in the cataract surgical device market and the number three position in contact lens care products.
"As with previous acquisitions that have strengthened and diversified our business, we're entering a market that's aligned with demographic trends and growing medical need," said John M. Capek, executive vice president, Medical Devices, Abbott. "This acquisition provides Abbott access to a $22 billion global market and the opportunity to help a very large patient population."
The final step in the acquisition process was a short-form merger of Rainforest Acquisition Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Abbott, with and into Advanced Medical Optics, Inc. As a result of the merger, all outstanding shares of AMO common stock not tendered in the cash tender offer (other than those as to which holders properly exercise dissenters’ rights) were converted into the right to receive $22 per share in cash, without interest and subject to any required withholding taxes.
- medical devices
Abbott announced it has received CE Marking (Conformité Européenne) in the European Union to market a new, highly sensitive diagnostic test for detection of hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg). The test is performed on Abbott's ARCHITECT® system. HBsAg assays may be used to help identify ac ... more
Abbott announced the availability of a new molecular test in the European Union and New Zealand designed to identify the presence of gene rearrangements associated with a specific form of non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC). These rearrangements in a gene known as ALK (anaplastic lymphoma k ... more
Course06-06 – 09-06
At Abbott Informatics, we understand that laboratories are faced with enormous challenges from increasing consolidation, policy changes, chronic labor shortages, regulatory and compliance pressures, and many other forces combined that have fundamentally shifted the way labs make decisions. ... more
- 1DURAN Group, WHEATON, and Kimble Unite to Form New Brand
- 2Researchers develop groundbreaking process for creating ultra-selective separation membranes
- 3Analysis method of metabolites accurately predicts whether a child has autism
- 4New electron source for materials analysis
- 5Next-gen steel under the microscope
- 6Optical fingerprint can reveal pollutants in the air
- 7Mapping the effects of crystal defects
- 8Agilent Technologies Board of Directors elects Koh Boon Hwee as new chairman
- Analysis method of metabolites accurately predicts whether a child has autism
- Detecting blood clot risk using biomarkers
- Researchers develop groundbreaking process for creating ultra-selective separation membranes
- New driver, target in advanced mucosal melanoma
- DURAN Group, WHEATON, and Kimble Unite to Form New Brand