Abbott announced it has received CE Marking (Conformité Européenne) in the European Union to market a new, highly sensitive diagnostic test for detection of hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg). The test is performed on Abbott's ARCHITECT® system. HBsAg assays may be used to help identify ac ... more
Abbott Completes Acquisition of Advanced Medical Optics
Abbott announced that it has completed its acquisition of Advanced Medical Optics. AMO is now a wholly owned subsidiary of Abbott and has been renamed Abbott Medical Optics Inc.
The acquisition of AMO enhances and strengthens Abbott's diverse mix of medical device businesses and gives it a leadership position in the large and growing eye care market. Abbott Medical Optics holds the number one position in LASIK surgical devices, the number two position in the cataract surgical device market and the number three position in contact lens care products.
"As with previous acquisitions that have strengthened and diversified our business, we're entering a market that's aligned with demographic trends and growing medical need," said John M. Capek, executive vice president, Medical Devices, Abbott. "This acquisition provides Abbott access to a $22 billion global market and the opportunity to help a very large patient population."
The final step in the acquisition process was a short-form merger of Rainforest Acquisition Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Abbott, with and into Advanced Medical Optics, Inc. As a result of the merger, all outstanding shares of AMO common stock not tendered in the cash tender offer (other than those as to which holders properly exercise dissenters’ rights) were converted into the right to receive $22 per share in cash, without interest and subject to any required withholding taxes.
- medical devices
Abbott announced the availability of a new molecular test in the European Union and New Zealand designed to identify the presence of gene rearrangements associated with a specific form of non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC). These rearrangements in a gene known as ALK (anaplastic lymphoma k ... more
Abbott announced that it has received CE-Mark for a new qualitative PCR-based HIV-1 test that produces highly accurate results from dried blood spot and plasma specimens. The new assay is a long-awaited diagnostic tool for health officials in African nations and other resource-limited areas ... more
Drive Innovation Abbott is a global healthcare company devoted to improving life through the development of products and technologies that span the breadth of healthcare. With a portfolio of leading, science-based offerings in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic ... more
- 1How Natural Channel Proteins Move in Artificial Membranes
- 2Merck’s Acquisition of Sigma-Aldrich Receives Clearance from EU Regulators
- 3Schleicher & Schuell has been purchased by Whatman plc
- 4New composite material as CO2 sensor
- 5Thousands of Droplets for Diagnostics
- 6'Green chemistry' to quantify the components of cosmetics
- 7Pall Corporation Acquires BioSMB Technology from Tarpon Biosystems
- 8Waters Corporation Announces Christopher J. O'Connell as Chief Executive Officer
- 9Eurofins signs an exclusive agreement to acquire the Biomnis Group
- 10Abbott enters into agreement with Inpeco to expand laboratory automation capabilites
- Eurofins signs an exclusive agreement to acquire the Biomnis Group
- Merck’s Acquisition of Sigma-Aldrich Receives Clearance from EU Regulators
- CHEMIE.DE’s 15th anniversary: from a university project to a specialist for ...
- BioTek Expands in the United Kingdom
- Eurofins acquires Diatherix Laboratories, Inc.
- X-rays and electrons join forces to map catalytic reactions in real-time
- Waters Corporation Announces Christopher J. O'Connell as Chief Executive Officer
- Fabricating inexpensive, high-temp SQUIDs for future electronic devices
- Gender inequality in scientific professions
- Nanomaterial self-assembly imaged in real time