Abbott announced it intends to close the acquisition of St. Jude Medical, Inc. The announcement follows receipt of all regulatory clearances necessary for closing. The transaction establishes Abbott as a leader in the medical device arena and provides expanded opportunities for future growt ... more
Abbott Completes Acquisition of Advanced Medical Optics
Abbott announced that it has completed its acquisition of Advanced Medical Optics. AMO is now a wholly owned subsidiary of Abbott and has been renamed Abbott Medical Optics Inc.
The acquisition of AMO enhances and strengthens Abbott's diverse mix of medical device businesses and gives it a leadership position in the large and growing eye care market. Abbott Medical Optics holds the number one position in LASIK surgical devices, the number two position in the cataract surgical device market and the number three position in contact lens care products.
"As with previous acquisitions that have strengthened and diversified our business, we're entering a market that's aligned with demographic trends and growing medical need," said John M. Capek, executive vice president, Medical Devices, Abbott. "This acquisition provides Abbott access to a $22 billion global market and the opportunity to help a very large patient population."
The final step in the acquisition process was a short-form merger of Rainforest Acquisition Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Abbott, with and into Advanced Medical Optics, Inc. As a result of the merger, all outstanding shares of AMO common stock not tendered in the cash tender offer (other than those as to which holders properly exercise dissenters’ rights) were converted into the right to receive $22 per share in cash, without interest and subject to any required withholding taxes.
- medical devices
Abbott announced it has received CE Marking (Conformité Européenne) in the European Union to market a new, highly sensitive diagnostic test for detection of hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg). The test is performed on Abbott's ARCHITECT® system. HBsAg assays may be used to help identify ac ... more
Abbott announced the availability of a new molecular test in the European Union and New Zealand designed to identify the presence of gene rearrangements associated with a specific form of non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC). These rearrangements in a gene known as ALK (anaplastic lymphoma k ... more
STARLIMS Integrated Solution Abbott Informatics STARLIMS solution is a scalable web-based product that will allow you to connect from anywhere at any time with compliant features to ensure data integrity, traceability, regulatory compliance and inspection readiness. Among the regulated and ... more
- 1Groundbreaking experimental method will speed up protein analysis substantially
- 2Tiny nanoparticles offer significant potential in detecting and treating disease
- 3State-of-the-art text mining technologies for chemistry
- 4Eurofins acquires clinical diagnostics company in Italy
- 5Shimadzu acquires specialist for isotope labeled standards
- 6More durable, versatile wearable for diabetes monitoring
- 7Eurofins expands its footprint in the Balkan region
- 8New sensors could enable more affordable detection of pollution and diseases
- 9Bacterial organizational complexities revealed
- 10Protein mingling under blue light
- Better 'fingerprints' to detect elusive, valuable chemical compounds
- More durable, versatile wearable for diabetes monitoring
- Bacterial organizational complexities revealed
- Waters Corporation elects Flemming Ornskov to Board of Directors
- New sensors could enable more affordable detection of pollution and diseases