Abbott announced it has received CE Marking (Conformité Européenne) in the European Union to market a new, highly sensitive diagnostic test for detection of hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg). The test is performed on Abbott's ARCHITECT® system. HBsAg assays may be used to help identify ac ... more
Abbott Completes Acquisition of Advanced Medical Optics
Abbott announced that it has completed its acquisition of Advanced Medical Optics. AMO is now a wholly owned subsidiary of Abbott and has been renamed Abbott Medical Optics Inc.
The acquisition of AMO enhances and strengthens Abbott's diverse mix of medical device businesses and gives it a leadership position in the large and growing eye care market. Abbott Medical Optics holds the number one position in LASIK surgical devices, the number two position in the cataract surgical device market and the number three position in contact lens care products.
"As with previous acquisitions that have strengthened and diversified our business, we're entering a market that's aligned with demographic trends and growing medical need," said John M. Capek, executive vice president, Medical Devices, Abbott. "This acquisition provides Abbott access to a $22 billion global market and the opportunity to help a very large patient population."
The final step in the acquisition process was a short-form merger of Rainforest Acquisition Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Abbott, with and into Advanced Medical Optics, Inc. As a result of the merger, all outstanding shares of AMO common stock not tendered in the cash tender offer (other than those as to which holders properly exercise dissenters’ rights) were converted into the right to receive $22 per share in cash, without interest and subject to any required withholding taxes.
- medical devices
Abbott announced the availability of a new molecular test in the European Union and New Zealand designed to identify the presence of gene rearrangements associated with a specific form of non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC). These rearrangements in a gene known as ALK (anaplastic lymphoma k ... more
Abbott announced that it has received CE-Mark for a new qualitative PCR-based HIV-1 test that produces highly accurate results from dried blood spot and plasma specimens. The new assay is a long-awaited diagnostic tool for health officials in African nations and other resource-limited areas ... more
Drive Innovation Abbott is a global healthcare company devoted to improving life through the development of products and technologies that span the breadth of healthcare. With a portfolio of leading, science-based offerings in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic ... more
- 1Schleicher & Schuell has been purchased by Whatman plc
- 2Could your smartphone one day tell you you're pregnant?
- 3NETZSCH Acquires GABO
- 4Teeth reveal lifetime exposures to metals, toxins
- 5How Natural Channel Proteins Move in Artificial Membranes
- 6A most singular nano-imaging technique
- 7New technique enables magnetic patterns to be mapped in 3D
- 8Better assessment of the health risks associated with mixtures of substances in food
- 9Oxford Nanopore announces £70 million fundraising
- 10LGC rebrands reference standards
- Malvern Instruments establishes new biopharmaceutical applications laboratory in the heart of San Diego’s biotech community
- BioTek Instruments Receives 5x5x5 Growth Award for Technology
- Plant light sensors came from ancient algae
- Honeywell To Acquire Elster
- Teeth reveal lifetime exposures to metals, toxins