Abbott announced it has received CE Marking (Conformité Européenne) in the European Union to market a new, highly sensitive diagnostic test for detection of hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg). The test is performed on Abbott's ARCHITECT® system. HBsAg assays may be used to help identify ac ... more
Abbott Completes Acquisition of Advanced Medical Optics
Abbott announced that it has completed its acquisition of Advanced Medical Optics. AMO is now a wholly owned subsidiary of Abbott and has been renamed Abbott Medical Optics Inc.
The acquisition of AMO enhances and strengthens Abbott's diverse mix of medical device businesses and gives it a leadership position in the large and growing eye care market. Abbott Medical Optics holds the number one position in LASIK surgical devices, the number two position in the cataract surgical device market and the number three position in contact lens care products.
"As with previous acquisitions that have strengthened and diversified our business, we're entering a market that's aligned with demographic trends and growing medical need," said John M. Capek, executive vice president, Medical Devices, Abbott. "This acquisition provides Abbott access to a $22 billion global market and the opportunity to help a very large patient population."
The final step in the acquisition process was a short-form merger of Rainforest Acquisition Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Abbott, with and into Advanced Medical Optics, Inc. As a result of the merger, all outstanding shares of AMO common stock not tendered in the cash tender offer (other than those as to which holders properly exercise dissenters’ rights) were converted into the right to receive $22 per share in cash, without interest and subject to any required withholding taxes.
- medical devices
Abbott announced the availability of a new molecular test in the European Union and New Zealand designed to identify the presence of gene rearrangements associated with a specific form of non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC). These rearrangements in a gene known as ALK (anaplastic lymphoma k ... more
Abbott announced that it has received CE-Mark for a new qualitative PCR-based HIV-1 test that produces highly accurate results from dried blood spot and plasma specimens. The new assay is a long-awaited diagnostic tool for health officials in African nations and other resource-limited areas ... more
- 1analytica 2016: Record number of exhibitors thanks to 6.5 percent increase
- 2Schleicher & Schuell has been purchased by Whatman plc
- 3analytica 2016: Key platform for upcoming scientists
- 4Laboratory of the future at analytica in Munich in the present
- 5The latest technologies in food and plastics analysis, bioanalysis and genetic analysis
- 6Electronic device detects molecules linked to cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's
- 7Beijing Higher Court rules in favor of Merck Millipore in patent infringement case
- 8Eurofins reinforces its environment testing footprint with the acquisition of EAC Corp. in Japan
- 9SCHOTT Is Now a Stock Corporation
- 10Mercury in fish affected by both prey type and quality
- Genes linked to the effects of mood and stress on longevity identified
- PET imaging with special tracer can detect and diagnose early Alzheimer's disease
- Engineers take first step toward flexible, wearable, tricoder-like device
- Nanotubes are beacons in cancer-imaging technique
- Chemists add color to chemical reactions