Two Metrohm AG subsidiaries, Metrohm India Ltd. and Metrohm Nordic AS, are to become exclusive distributors of Analytik Jena's analytical measurement products in India and in Scandinavian countries. Both companies, Analytik Jena and Metrohm, operate globally as leading manufacturers of prec ... more
Metrohm celebrates 25 years of ion chromatography
This year it is 25 years since Metrohm launched its first ion chromatograph, the 690 ion chromatograph. Since then Metrohm has profoundly changed ion chromatography with instruments that are simple to use, robust, and affordable.
In the early 1980s ion chromatography was already around as an analytical technique. However, it was very expensive and also rather difficult to use. Metrohm set out to change this with an ion chromatograph engineered to be simple to use, robust, and above all, affordable. The result was the 690 ion chromatograph, which was launched in 1987. At the time it cost only half as much as the competition’s instruments; it was simple to use and so rugged that even today papers keep being published based on data produced on 690 Ion Chromatographs.
The breakthrough for Metrohm ion chromatography came in 1997 when Metrohm invented compact ion chromatography. Indeed, the 761 Compact Ion Chromatograph was the first ion chromatograph with all functional components contained in a single box. With all capillaries for the flow path preinstalled, the 761 Compact IC did not require any set-up on the user’s part. As it turned out, it was the right instrument at the right time to meet the growing demand in the 90’s for an affordable, robust ion chromatograph especially for environmental analysis.
The next big thing in the history of Metrohm ion chromatography came in 2007 when the 850 Professional Ion Chromatograph and the MagIC Net™ software were launched. This system combines the compact design of the Compact IC’s with the flexibility of a modular system and takes usability to an entirely new level: The Professional IC can take logical decisions on its own saving the user from the tedious routines of manual liquid handling and sample preparation.
Currently Metrohm is working on the ion chromatograph of the future. This instrument will integrate even more automated sample preparation and liquid handling. It will require only minimum bench space, and it will support the user with even more intelligence saving him from routine work prior and after analysis.
Agilent Technologies Inc. and Metrohm AG introduced a high-sensitivity solution to easily detect and differentiate chromium (III), an essential nutrient, from toxic chromium (VI). Also known as hexavalent chromium, chromium (VI) is a potent toxin associated with lung cancer, kidney and live ... more
- 1Schleicher & Schuell has been purchased by Whatman plc
- 2Argonne’s lithium-ion battery technology to be commercialized by BASF
- 3LGC rebrands reference standards
- 4Endress+Hauser Set for Complete Acquisition of Analytik Jena
- 5Agilent Technologies completes acquisition of Seahorse Bioscience
- 6Device combines power of mass spectrometry, microscopy
- 7Researchers design and patent graphene biosensors
- 8Thermo Fisher Scientific Scientist Dr. Alexander Makarov Receives Inaugural HUPO Science and Technology Award
- 9Waters Corporation Announces Christopher J. O'Connell as Chief Executive Officer
- 10Dako's new Board and Management in place
- Microwave Field Imaging Using Diamond and Vapor Cells
- Analytik Jena Opens Swiss Branch Office at the Endress+Hauser Headquarters
- Using optical fiber to generate a two-micron laser
- New method will enable most accurate neutron measurement yet
- Rosetta’s mass spectrometer ROSINA detected argon at comet Churyumov-Gerasimenko