Agilent Technologies Inc. announced it has completed the acquisition of Seahorse Bioscience, which provides instruments and assay kits for measuring cell metabolism and bioenergetics. Agilent announced its intent to acquire Seahorse on Sept. 9 . Seahorse’s leading technology enables researc ... more
Agilent Technologies and Universiti Putra Malaysia to Collaborate on Halal Food Research
Agilent Technologies Inc. and Universiti Putra Malaysia announced a collaboration to strengthen Malaysia’s research capabilities for halal food products, with particular emphasis on food authentication and food safety.
“Halal” is an Arabic word meaning lawful or allowable. Any product deemed halal is permitted for use and consumption by Muslims. According to World Halal Forum, the halal food market is worth an estimated $662 billion a year, representing almost 17 percent of the global food industry.
Agilent announced the agreement with the university’s Halal Products Research Institute. This partnership, the first of its kind for Agilent in the South Asia Pacific region, will help Malaysia assert itself as the world halal hub.
“HPRI was established to uphold the sanctity of halal through research and services,” said Dr. Russly Abdul Rahman, director of the Halal Products Research Institute, Universiti Putra Malaysia. “Today’s announcement with Agilent is a major step for UPM in nurturing top-notch halal scientists and in delivering world-class research programs that are needed to increase the confidence in halal products and services.”
“Today’s announcement delivers on our commitment to research and innovation,” said Shidah Ahmad, vice president and general manager, Agilent. “By supporting research capabilities through world-class technologies and expertise in a variety of applications, Agilent is helping Malaysia strengthen its halal economy.”
Under the agreement, Agilent will provide HPRI with triple quadrupole LC/MS systems. Liquid chromatography is useful for separating nonvolatile and thermally fragile molecules. For more complex mixtures or when more information is required, the chromatograph is used in conjunction with a mass spectrometer, which is effective in identifying unknown compounds and determining the amount of each substance encountered.
“Agilent has long been developing analytical tools and methods used by government, industry and private labs worldwide to detect and measure food content and quality as well as food safety,” said Tan Mei Mei, regional business director for Agilent’s Chemical Analysis Group in South East Asia. “We are thrilled to have the opportunity to collaborate with UPM for halal research that will benefit mankind.”
Agilent Technologies Inc. announced that Jules Griffin has received an Agilent Thought Leader Award in recognition of his work in lipidomics.This award includes an Agilent 6560 Ion Mobility Q-TOF LC/MS system, which Dr. Griffin and his team will use to advance their lipid profiling of human ... more
Agilent Technologies Inc. and Scion Instruments announced a gas chromatography instrument control agreement. This exchange agreement provides customers the freedom to operate instruments from both manufacturers in each company’s chromatography data systems.The companies will exchange develo ... more
Agilent Technologies Inc. and Universiti Putra Malaysia announced a collaboration to strengthen Malaysia’s research capabilities for halal food products, with particular emphasis on food authentication and food safety.“Halal” is an Arabic word meaning lawful or allowable. Any product deemed ... more
- 1Schleicher & Schuell has been purchased by Whatman plc
- 2LGC rebrands reference standards
- 3Argonne’s lithium-ion battery technology to be commercialized by BASF
- 4Endress+Hauser Set for Complete Acquisition of Analytik Jena
- 5Device combines power of mass spectrometry, microscopy
- 6Agilent Technologies completes acquisition of Seahorse Bioscience
- 7Researchers design and patent graphene biosensors
- 8Thermo Fisher Scientific Scientist Dr. Alexander Makarov Receives Inaugural HUPO Science and Technology Award
- 9Waters Corporation Announces Christopher J. O'Connell as Chief Executive Officer
- 10MDS Sciex Opens Manufacturing Facility in Singapore
- Merck and Pfizer Collaborate with Dako
- Biocartis and Fast-track diagnostics sign strategic collaboration in infecti ...
- QIAGEN partners with sequencing provider
- Agilent Technologies and Scion Instruments Agree to Enable Each Other’s Inst ...
- Philips enters into collaboration with Janssen to develop new handheld blood ...