Abbott's New HIV-1 Qualitative Assay Improves Testing Access in Remote Areas for Children and Adults
25-03-2011: Abbott announced that it has received CE-Mark for a new qualitative PCR-based HIV-1 test that produces highly accurate results from dried blood spot and plasma specimens. The new assay is a long-awaited diagnostic tool for health officials in African nations and other resource-limited areas to detect HIV-1 infected infants at early stages and begin treatment when success is more likely.
Abbott's RealTime HIV-1 Qualitative Assay is performed on Abbott's automated, high-throughput m2000 system, which is used in laboratories worldwide. The highly sensitive assay detects both DNA and RNA of HIV-1. Dried blood spot samples are more convenient for testing infants because only a small volume of sample is needed and the sample remains stable under various environmental conditions.
The new RealTime HIV-1 Qualitative Assay will be available for diagnostic laboratories and supplied to non-governmental organizations and health agencies collaborating with the Ministries of Health in countries most affected by the epidemic.
"This test is a welcome advancement in the ongoing effort to detect pediatric HIV infections in Africa," said Kristina Rodnikova, divisional vice president and general manager of Abbott's molecular diagnostics business in Europe. "Early detection of infants with HIV is now more practical and possible in remote areas because a drop of blood can be applied to a paper card for HIV testing, which allows for easy collection, transport, and storage. The sample can be stored at room temperature and will remain stable for three months."
- 1Schleicher & Schuell has been purchased by Whatman plc
- 2Identifying microbial species
- 3Merger of CyBio AG into Analytik Jena AG Completed
- 4Sophisticated radiation detector designed for broad public use
- 5LIMS/LIS Market and POCT Supplement
- 6SP Industries Acquires Bel-Art Products
- 7The quantum dance of oxygen
- 8Spectris acquires Corporate Scientific Claisse Inc.
- 9The Sweetest Calculator in the World
- 10KNAUER among Top 100 innovators
- QIAGEN adds promising genomic biomarkers to pipeline
- A Toxic-Free Alternative: Rigorous Assay of Chloride and Sulfate in Adenosine
- Studies Validate EKF Diagnostics’ Early Stage Test for Progressive Diabetic ...
- Evotec receives first milestone in Roche biomarker collaboration
- Plastics analysis at analytica 2014: Optimum quality assurance thanks to the ...