Merck announced that it has obtained antitrust clearance from the United States Federal Trade Commission (FTC) for its planned acquisition of US-based life science company Sigma-Aldrich. The waiting period under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act (HSR Act) in connection with i ... more
Heinrich Emanuel Merck Award for 2010 granted to leading Italian scientistProfessor Torsi from the University of Bari receives Analytical Sciences distinction
Merck KGaA announced that the 2010 Heinrich Emanuel Merck Award for Analytical Sciences will go to Luisa Torsi, Professor of Analytical Chemistry at the University of Bari in Italy. This marks the first time that the award has been given to a woman and to a scientist in Italy. The award, which is worth EUR 15,000, will be presented at the EUCHEMS Congress in Nuremberg, Germany, on August 31, 2010.
For more than 20 years, the Heinrich-Emanuel-Merck Award has been recognizing scientists under the age of 45 whose work focuses on new methods in chemical analysis and the deployment thereof in applications aimed at improving the quality of human life, for example in fields such as environmental protection, life sciences or the biosciences.
Torsi is being recognized for her research work on organic semiconducting chemical sensors based on organic thin-film field effect transistors. Such components permit highly sensitive analytical measurements. This highly interesting technology makes it possible to measure so-called chiral substances, meaning the spatial arrangement of atoms in molecules.
Chiral substances are responsible for many biological effects in enzymes, antibodies or other molecular receptors. This in turn yields numerous applications in the synthesis of raw materials and active ingredients in Chemicals and Pharmaceuticals.
“Professor Torsi is a leading scientist and an outstanding individual who is internationally well connected. Her work on organic semiconducting sensors convinced the jury in every respect,” explained Dr. Klaus Dieter Franz, Head of Analytical Services at Merck. “Formerly the Heinrich Emanuel Merck Award was granted exclusively for achievements in analytical chemistry. It is now also aimed at researchers working in Life Sciences and Biosciences, since Merck has also made great strides in this direction. This has considerably expanded the pool of candidates.”
Merck and Sigma-Aldrich announced that they have entered into a definitive agreement under which Merck will acquire Sigma-Aldrich for $17.0 billion (€13.1 billion), establishing one of the leading players in the $130 billion global life science industry. Merck will acquire all of the outsta ... more
Merck announced that its biopharmaceutical division Merck Serono is well on track with the implementation of the Group’s “Fit for 2018” transformation and growth program. This is reflected by efficiency gains and the successful execution of growth initiatives as well as progress in the pipe ... more
The Milli-Q® Integral water purification system provides you with integrated, reliable lab-scale production of pure and ultrapure water more
The Scepter™, the industry's first handheld, automated cell counter represents a breakthrough for life science researchers more
This unique fully-embedded water purification system software has been developed especially for the pharmaceutical, biotech and contract labs more
All norms, industry guidelines, quality standards and regulations recommend periodical preventive maintenance of water purification systems as the most efficient way of ensuring more
- 1Schleicher & Schuell has been purchased by Whatman plc
- 2Scientists get first glimpse of a chemical bond being born
- 3Eurofins acquires BioDiagnostics, Inc.
- 4Asphaltene analysis takes a giant step
- 5Fluorescence spectroscopy using a smartphone
- 6Anton Paar GmbH acquires Measuring Technology Company in Hanover
- 7Live broadcast from inside the nerve cell
- 8Foundation of LAUDA Scientific GmbH as an independent company for measuring instruments
- 9MDxHealth's ConfirmMDx Genes Detect Clinically Significant Prostate Cancer
- 10Adulterated foods investigated: modern analytical methods verify that foods are genuine
- Foundation of LAUDA Scientific GmbH as an independent company for measuring instruments
- INTEGRA Biosciences Opens German Subsidiary
- Omics methods: Towards a better prediction of the effects of substances at very low doses
- Sartorius extends portfolio with innovative sensors for flow rate measurement
- Frozen highly-charged ions for highest precision spectroscopy