As part of the global strategic alliance between Merck and Pfizer to jointly develop and commercialize avelumab, an investigational immune checkpoint inhibitor, the companies have announced that they have a collaboration agreement in place with Dako, an Agilent Technologies company, for the ... more
Heinrich Emanuel Merck Award for 2010 granted to leading Italian scientistProfessor Torsi from the University of Bari receives Analytical Sciences distinction
Merck KGaA announced that the 2010 Heinrich Emanuel Merck Award for Analytical Sciences will go to Luisa Torsi, Professor of Analytical Chemistry at the University of Bari in Italy. This marks the first time that the award has been given to a woman and to a scientist in Italy. The award, which is worth EUR 15,000, will be presented at the EUCHEMS Congress in Nuremberg, Germany, on August 31, 2010.
For more than 20 years, the Heinrich-Emanuel-Merck Award has been recognizing scientists under the age of 45 whose work focuses on new methods in chemical analysis and the deployment thereof in applications aimed at improving the quality of human life, for example in fields such as environmental protection, life sciences or the biosciences.
Torsi is being recognized for her research work on organic semiconducting chemical sensors based on organic thin-film field effect transistors. Such components permit highly sensitive analytical measurements. This highly interesting technology makes it possible to measure so-called chiral substances, meaning the spatial arrangement of atoms in molecules.
Chiral substances are responsible for many biological effects in enzymes, antibodies or other molecular receptors. This in turn yields numerous applications in the synthesis of raw materials and active ingredients in Chemicals and Pharmaceuticals.
“Professor Torsi is a leading scientist and an outstanding individual who is internationally well connected. Her work on organic semiconducting sensors convinced the jury in every respect,” explained Dr. Klaus Dieter Franz, Head of Analytical Services at Merck. “Formerly the Heinrich Emanuel Merck Award was granted exclusively for achievements in analytical chemistry. It is now also aimed at researchers working in Life Sciences and Biosciences, since Merck has also made great strides in this direction. This has considerably expanded the pool of candidates.”
Merck announced that the European Commission has approved its planned acquisition of U.S.-based life science company Sigma-Aldrich. The EU clearance, which is subject to certain conditions, follows the recent antitrust approvals in Japan (JFTC) and by the Chinese Ministry of Commerce (MOFCO ... more
Merck announced that it has obtained antitrust clearance from the United States Federal Trade Commission (FTC) for its planned acquisition of US-based life science company Sigma-Aldrich. The waiting period under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act (HSR Act) in connection with i ... more
The Scepter™, the industry's first handheld, automated cell counter represents a breakthrough for life science researchers more
To keep pace with the daily needs of your lab, you know it's crucial to have consistent pure water quality as well as the volumes of water you require more
The Milli-Q® Integral water purification system provides you with integrated, reliable lab-scale production of pure and ultrapure water more
This unique fully-embedded water purification system software has been developed especially for the pharmaceutical, biotech and contract labs more
All norms, industry guidelines, quality standards and regulations recommend periodical preventive maintenance of water purification systems as the most efficient way of ensuring more
- 1Schleicher & Schuell has been purchased by Whatman plc
- 2CT scan of Earth links deep mantle plumes with volcanic hotspots
- 3Imaging techniques set new standard for super-resolution in live cells
- 4Chocolate physics: How modeling could improve 'mouthfeel'
- 5A quarter of a century: Analytik Jena celebrates
- 6Varian, Inc. Acquires Digilab Spectroscopy Products for Life Sciences and Materials Research
- 7MDS Sciex Opens Manufacturing Facility in Singapore
- 8Image-tracking technology helps scientists study nature v. nurture in neural stem cells
- 9Varian, Inc. Acquires Polymer Laboratories Ltd.
- 10Team harnesses intense X-ray beam, observes unusual phenomenon for the first time
- Analytik Jena AG Expands Executive Management Board
- New Head of Marketing Communications and PR at JULABO
- Markus Lusser is new president of Leica Microsystems
- Thomas Bachmann is new Chief Executive Officer of the Eppendorf Group
- Waters Corporation Announces Christopher J. O'Connell as Chief Executive Officer