Scientists in Canada and the United States have developed a chip sensor for monitoring how drug candidates alter amyloid-β peptide aggregation that they hope could be used to find new treatments for Alzheimer’s disease. Research into Alzheimer’s disease has shown that the self-aggregation o ... more
Single enantiomer using copper catalyst
12-06-2009: Chemists in Switzerland show that a racemic mixture can be transformed into one enantiomer, using a copper catalyst.
The concept of the dynamic kinetic asymmetric transformation in allylic substitutions represents an efficient methodology for transforming a racemic mixture into one product.
Alexandre Alexakis and Jean-Baptiste Langlois from the University of Geneva, report the first dynamic kinetic asymmetric transformation in copper catalysed allylic alkylations.
Significantly, this is the first example of using a copper catalyst for this transformation and it could lead to further insights into the mechanisms of other copper catalysed reactions.
With further research the enantioselectivities of these systems could be improved and their application towards useful chiral synthons could be demonstrated suggested Alexakis.
‘There are still many interesting challenges in copper catalysed asymmetric transformations, as in asymmetric synthesis in general,’ says Alexakis. Work is underway in his team to explore other copper catalysed reactions.
Original article: Jean-Baptiste Langlois and Alexandre Alexakis; "Dynamic kinetic asymmetric transformation in copper catalyzed allylic alkylation"; Chem. Commun. 2009
Scientists in the UK have developed a new class of MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) agents that promise to deliver clearer images more quickly. Chemical shifts from proton NMR normally fall between 0-12ppm, but water and fat resonate at 4.7 and 1.3ppm respectively, causing noise that can ov ... more
Scientists in China have developed a simple microchip that enables quick and inexpensive high-throughput screening of potential drug candidates in 3D cell cultures. Scientists often use cell-based high-throughput screening in the first stage of drug design as a technique to quickly identify ... more
Chemists in Switzerland show that a racemic mixture can be transformed into one enantiomer, using a copper catalyst. The concept of the dynamic kinetic asymmetric transformation in allylic substitutions represents an efficient methodology for transforming a racemic mixture into one product ... more
Researchers from the Universities of Geneva and Lausanne, as well as the Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics have been part of a major international project to sequence the bovine (cow) genome, a female Hereford cow named L1 Dominette. Sequencing the bovine genome is now complete, paving the ... more
Peter Kündig and colleagues from Geneva University, Switzerland and Stephen Marsden and co-workers at the University of Leeds, in the UK, have developed an asymmetric Pd/N-heterocyclic carbene (NHC) - catalysed intramolecular -arylation of amide enolates, containing heteroatom sustituents. ... more
- 1The shadow of a disease
- 2Schleicher & Schuell has been purchased by Whatman plc
- 3Merck to Acquire Sigma-Aldrich to Enhance Position in Attractive Life Science Industry
- 4A Breakthrough in Electron Microscopy
- 5LGC rebrands reference standards
- 6Bibby Scientific Ltd acquires PCRmax Ltd
- 7Analytik Jena Closes Acquisition of Bruker's ICP-MS Business and Begins Integration Process
- 8LGC extends forensic and paternity DNA operations into Europe
- 9Gilson announces the acquisition of Armen
- 10analytica China 2014: Closed with overall success
- Light bending material facilitates the search for new particles
- Earlier unknown molecular-level mechanism may contribute to the growth rate ...
- Help in the Search for the Needle in the Haystack
- New sequencing reveals genetic history of tomatoes
- New light on the "Split Peak" in x-ray (RIXS) spectra of Alcohols
- Making sure antibiotics work as they should
- Mice and men share a diabetes gene
- DKSH exclusively distributes Postnova Analytics’ Field-Flow Fractionation systems
- Synthesis of structurally pure carbon nanotubes using molecular seeds
- Mettler Toledo installs Tunable Diode Lasers (TDLs) where no TDLs have gone before